Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Barcelona - Man United : Preview 1c

Just like every other MBA student, I like beating the odds and performing under pressure. So when I found a thrown gauntlet this morning,I quickly picked it up. I guess Narz the Barca fan(?) is already writing part c of the preview and I hope this post is completed before our resident corposlut beats me to it. The earlier previews (in fact, most of the earlier posts) have been filled with random ManU bashing and "Oh! Yes! Barca!" every two sentences. While I would love to do more of the former, I prefer to concentrate instead on the people who are going to sit in front of their Televisions and actually watch this thing.

In all these years of football watching (mostly getting pissed off at Arsenal's back five and listening to random ManU crap), I have encountered a lot of people who claim to follow the beautiful game (people who even call it
Jogo Bonita). I have tried to categorize these people broadly. You may add new categories and place yourselves in them.

Category 1

5 years ago: "Hey this red T-shirt is so nice ya! What is this name behind it? Beck-ham? Kewl!"

Now: "ChicaritooooooO! Number 19! Glory glory Man United!Knocked 'em off their f***in' perch!"


Category 2

"Oh I have to follow football to sound cool at IIM and placement interviews. Let me follow ManU, since their red jerseys are so nice. I don't have to actually know anything."

End of every ManU match : "What's going on? Oh! ManU match! Go United!"

After ManU victory: "Haha we won! Polly, keep the 3000 bucks ready (reference to bet made 1 year ago)"


Category 3

10 years ago : "Hmm. Everyone seems to be following this English football. Too mainstream. I shall support Valencia and pledge my undying loyalty to it"

Now (Long time, no Valencia in Champions League)
: "Ooooooh Barca ! Messi! Xavi! Pedro! Oh, by the way, EPL sucks."


Category 4

None of the above


Anyway, I will be watching the match with a decidedly neutral air (ManU getting humiliated, naturally). I am not sure if the match would even be played, since rumours are abuzz that the players from both teams are planning to bunk the game in order to travel to Chennai to watch the IPL final.

No comments:

Post a Comment